Did you know that Jan’s Health Bar has been an Orange County staple for over four decades? Me neither! Jan’s Health Bar opened its doors in Huntington Beach in 1972 serving a menu that remains the same even today. Jan Gaffney, the original owner, was a pioneer, way ahead of her time. Poppy Holguin was a high schooler who worked at Jan’s during those days. Jan would always tell Poppy that one day, she would sell the restaurant to her. I recently met Poppy and was intrigued by her story.
In 2010, Poppy bought Jan’s Health Bar. Since then, she has expanded the one location to four, but has kept 90% of Jan’s original menu. The other 10%, Poppy has created including the acai bowl and anything which includes kale. Which leads me to Kaleicious ($8.45) one of my favorites. It is a smoothie incorporating kale, spinach, apple, pineapple, banana and green apple. My friend’s toddler loves this drink and the little 2-year old can demolish it all by himself.
Some other really great items at Jan’s includes Summer Salad ($12.95) a gorgeous salad with mixed greens, avocado, blue cheese crumbles, candied walnuts, apple and carrots. It is topped with berries and served with raspberry vinaigrette on the side.
If you’re going low-carb, might I suggest the Protein Bowl ($8.95) you may choose from turkey, tuna, soy turkey, or chicken to go with the avocado carrots, cucumber, and tomato. The tuna is good because it’s not laden with mayo. Just a hint, which is how I like it.
For those wanting something heartier, the Spicy Fresco Wrap ($9.95) sees a spinach tortilla packed with turkey, fresh guacamole, cheese, black beans, brown rice, and lettuce. All it needs is some hot sauce.
If you’re a traditionalist, then the Classic Sandwich ($9.40) might be just what you’re looking for. Choose your protein — I picked turkey — to be sandwiched between honey wheat bread, accompanied by cucumber, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, soy bacon bits, spike dressing, mayo and mustard. My favorite is the sprouts! Not enough sandwiches come with sprouts!
To finish, get Jan’s Acai ($9.45) to enjoy later. The bowl consists of acai topped with granola, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, coconut, goji berries and agave. Sweetened naturally and full of antioxidants.
I’d love for Jan’s Health Bar to open a location in Irvine in the near future!
For a Jan’s Health Bar location near you, click here.
Deb Moretti says
Thanks for the info. I’ve seen the one in Corona Del Mar and wondered about it. Looks great!